Monday 22 April 2013

Midnight...and Romans...in Paris

Possibly the world's cutest Subway :)
After waving goodbye to Saroj, I set out to discover the Paris of Woody Allen. Everyone who knows me will also know that I'm not a big fan. Well, actually, no fan at all of Woody. However Midnight in Paris was, I have to say, a good movie. And most of all because of the setting. So I decided to track down some of the movie settings, along with a few other gems of the 5th Arr. There are a few bits of the Roman wall built around Paris, and you stumble upon them here and there, but the largest Roman ruin in the Arene de Lutece, now used as a quiet place to have lunch or a round of petanque. After that, I found the steps and street where, in Midnight in Paris, 'Gil' steps into the past. I won't show pics of all the places in the movie. If you're interested, you can check them out at
http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/m/Midnight_In_Paris.html#.UXWLt4Ii3S0
Then I accidentally stumbled on a part of Rue Mouffetard that I'd previously missed. What an adorable square, surrounded by cafes. Had to stop for coffee of course :)
Arenes de Lutece

Playing petanque (boules)

Roman stonework


Steps from Midnight in Paris

View from the steps

Aha! Frenchmen DO wear berets!

Place Contrescarpe

......where I had coffee :)

Hard to choose, there were so many!



Ready for lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment